Last Updated on September 29, 2023 by Jan Barley
You may be feeling overwhelmed by the number of keyword research tools available. Ranging from free to megabucks, finding the best keyword research tool for you can make the difference between SEO success or an epic flop.
While searching for free keyword tools, it was no surprise that some company’s perception of “free” didn’t align with mine.
Above all, my criteria for this article were to find the best free keyword research tools that are beginner-friendly and produce good results for a business getting ready to create an SEO strategy.
I intended to create a comparison article, but instead, I focused on Ahrefs because there is so much on offer for free. Moreover, Ahrefs do not have an affiliate program so I have nothing to gain from sharing ny unbiased review of Ahrefs free SEO tools.
Ahrefs: The Industry-Leading SEO Software Company
I’ve used the paid version of Ahrefs for a while and knew the software included some free SEO tools, but I was surprised at how much value they have added since I last researched the platform.
How Much Does Ahrefs Cost?
Ahref’s basic plan starts from £79 a month and is suitable for small businesses. For that, you get access to the following.
- Site Audit
- Site Explorer
- Rank Tracker
- SEO Dashboard
- Keywords Explorer
- SERP comparison
I’ve used Ahrefs extensively and found it beginner-friendly and helpful for researching the competition and finding easy keywords to rank.
Ahrefs offers a great range of free SEO tools, which are pretty neat.
Find thousands of keywords in your genre in seconds. In addition, you can get search results for Google, Bing, Amazon, or YouTube. It’s not a fraction as good as the paid version, but it’s an excellent starting point.
Keyword Difficulty Checker
If you have no organic ranking keywords, target keyword difficulty under a score of 10. However, don’t worry too much about volume. Just focus on creating topical content for the keyword.
Ahrefs backlink checker gives you the top one hundred backlinks for any website. Enter the URL of your competitor ranking on page one and save the results.
Broken Link Checker
Broken links can affect a website’s SEO, so checking where your broken links are allows you to fix this technical SEO issue,
Website Authority Checker
Check your website’s Domain Rating (DR) to see how many backlinks it has. If your website starts getting ranked on page one, you will notice more backlinks. Some might be spam links, which you can disavow in Google Console. I’ll do a quick article soon on how to disavow spam links.
Website Traffic Checker
I found this traffic checker to be inaccurate. Moreover, I searched for three keyword phrases for a site I’m working on that ranked on page one, and it came back saying the keywords weren’t ranking.
The free SEO tools also include a SERPs and Keyword Rank checker.
Other Helpful Free Ahrefs Tools
- Ahrefs SEO WordPress Plugin: This plugin enables you to audit content, monitor backlinks and increase organic traffic.
- Ahrefs SEO Toolbar: This extension reports broken links and compiles an SEO report.
A significant part of your SEO strategy includes producing SEO content, and Ahrefs has added a free AI writing tool that does the following tasks: –
- Paragraph Generator: Stuck on a paragraph? Use this free tool.
- Paragraph Rewriter: to improve the quality of paragraphs.
- Sentence Rewriter Tool: Improves sentence structure.
- Outline Generator: Instead of staring at a blank page, get ideas for article outlines. ChatGPT also does an excellent job of creating article outlines.
- Paraphrasing Tool: Reword text for various writing tasks.
- Acronym Generator: Generate great abbreviations for phrases and words.
Ahrefs SEO and Content Marketing AI Tools
- Image Alt Text Generator: Add “alt” tags to your images. Alt tags are usually a keyword that describes the image relating to the content.
- Title Generator: Great SEO titles help get clicks on your ranking articles.
- Meta Description Generator: Though Google mostly ignores meta descriptions, this tool creates quick SEO-friendly descriptions.
- Content Idea Generator: Stuck for ideas?
- Blog Title Generator: Generate great SEO blog post titles to help drive traffic.
- Blog Post Ideas Generator: Bulk create ideas for topical authority content.
Social Media AI Tools
- Instagram Caption Generator: Create Instagram captions
- Instagram Hashtag Generator: Create hashtags that attract followers and boost your reach on Instagram.
- Hook Generator: A great hook is essential for any content.
- Social Media Bio Generator: Create the perfect bio using AI.
Ahrefs Free Business & Marketing Tools
- Slogan Generator: Create catchy slogans.
- Product Description Generator: Great product descriptions can increase sales.
- Business Name Generator: Stuck on a name for your new business?
- Product Name Generator: Create the perfect product name without wearing out your brain!
- Google Ads Copy Generator: Increase ad conversions with compelling ad copy.
- Resignation Letter Generator: Finally, when you’re ready to say goodbye, craft the perfect resignation letter.
In conclusion, Ahrefs is great for SEO. You can register for a free account and can track your progress. The image below is an affiliate site I haven’t worked on for almost twelve months. However, I wrote three articles in July and updated forty-seven 2021/2022 articles, adding new keywords and sprucing them up.
Primarily, I’d lost interest in the website, but seeing twenty-two new organic keywords appear fired me up again to start writing topical content and not closing the website as I originally intended.
Plenty of free SEO tools are available online, but most of them I tested this week were fiddly and unreliable. Moreover, I will share a few more free SEO tools once I’ve tried them over a more extended period, but for now, focus on using Ahrefs tools and let me know how you get along.
It takes more than a few free SEO keywords to get ranked in Google. However, you can start building your domain authority (DA) by writing topical authority content and showing Google you know what you are doing.
I am an SEO Coach and writer helping heart-led small business owners learn how to rank on Google.
Can I Use Ahref For Free?
You can use Ahrefs free Webmaster Tools. It’s an impressive suite of tools for SEO when you’re on a budget.
What is Ahrefs Software Used For?
Ahrefs is industry-leading SEO software used for keyword research, link building, competitor analysis, site audits and rank tracking. Certainly, marketing professional across the globe use Ahrefs for their SEO strategies and to get content ranked on Google.
Is Ahrefs A Good SEO Tool?
Yes. Ahrefs has an excellent range of SEO tools, even with the “lite” package. Above all, it provides excellent data for keyword research and backlinked and in-depth competitor analysis. Compared to other industry-leading SEO software, I genuinely believe you get more for your money with Ahrefs.
Reminder: By the way, Ahrefs does not have an affiliate program, so I have nothing to gain by sharing my unbiased review of this SEO software.